Sunday, August 3, 2008

A week in HOT Atlanta!

Well ... it seems Sundays are my big post days ... but the weeks have been so jam packed - it's my only free moment to catch up and do my enjoyable things! Jonathan did a 2 week rotation in Atlanta - the last we were able to spend with him ... thanks to 30,000 Marriott points we have been saving up! So here are a few of our fun outings and adventures:
Monday night we had family home evening with the Forscutts at the Braves game ... unfortunately they lost pretty bad -but we had a great time being with Chris, Elizabeth and Kinsley ... and with eachother ... well at least UNTIL ...

we tried to ride back on the MARTA (Atlanta railway) -- the 20 minute trip took an hour and a half ... due to some issues with the doors opening and closing. At one point they told us to get off - so I got off with Benjamin (no shoes because it was 11 pm at night) -- and Jonathan was holding my purse (with phone inside) ... well the doors shut... the train took off - and there we were - shoeless Benjamin, no phone and no Marta pass. Luckily we were able to get on the next train ... BUT - un-beknownst to me - Jonathan's train took a side track - to try and repair the doors, we headed to our train station ... and Jonathan was no where to be found. After searching the scarey station for 20 minutes - I finally concluded that Jonathan had gone on to the car without us ... so Benjamin and I belly crawled on the ground under the Marta gates ... only to find ... Jonathan NOT at the car -- now we were locked out of the Marta station - AND there were lots of CRAZZZIES!! Thankfully, Jonathan got there about 5 minutes later!! What an adventure ...

Wednesday ... was a VERY busy day: Benjamin and I went to the Botanical Gardens ... I LOVED it ...and would recommend it! I didn't get lots of pictures of the flowers ... Benjamin just wanted to look at EVERYTHING. I love this cow ... check out the toothbrush: very fitting!

Wednesday night: Our trip to Stone Mountain. The hike was WONDERFUL ... but VERY VERY VERY hot ... and I enjoyed teasing Jonathan about wearing PANTS... in Georgia ... hiking... in JULY! He was completely drenched (well we all were) by the end of the night. The laser show wasn't as good as in years past - but as you can see we had a lot of fun!
(and yes - Jonathan HAD to buy the $6 light up sword for Benjamin!)
Jonathan and I were both able to go to the Temple during the week - I let Benjamin walk around the Temple grounds - he kept wanting to go inside - I told him he needed to be big like daddy - he replied: "my am big mom."

Lastly ... a trip to the Varsity ... the original one in downtown Atlanta. I LOVE the hamburgers... Jonathan not so much! Benjamin just thought it was GREAT to get a milkshake and orange soda in the same meal (definitely treats at our house!)
We did get to do a good bit of swimming ... and sleeping since we had to drop Jonathan off at the Marta station every morning at 6 am... which was very early for us - being that we were up late most nights! We headed home via the Outlets in Commerce ... for some tax free shopping -- and boy did we stock up! Happy school clothes shopping (even though I'm not in school!) ... we'll update more ... soon!

8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That is terrible about the Marta thing. It was nice seeing y'all.

Mary Mitchell said...

I wish we could have seen you guys!

Jessica said...

Wow- that is a crazy adventure! I would have been bawling after all that- especially belly crawling under a scary gate with my kids. You are brave. I'm glad everything worked out.

The Galan Family said...

You guys have been busy! Thanks for the potty-training advice. He is doing better this week. Now I know to ask you guys what there is to do around here. You seem to know all the "hot" spots. No pun intended :)

Laura said...

Goodness, what an adventure! I would have been scared silly in that train situation. I'm glad you didn't have to wait too long before Jonathan showed up. I'm so glad that you guys were able to be together as a family while Jonathan was busy working. What a cool trip!

Candace said...

How FUN!! I love Braves games although I haven't been in a few years. I've never been on Marta and your story makes me never want to go! I'm glad yall were okay. :) Last time I went to Stone Mountain it was June and we about died in the heat during that hike. Nothing like summer in good old GA!

cameron said...

MUCHO ADVENTURES!!! SO FUN!!! HOW YOU DOING?

The Galan Family said...

Where are your pics from your fun weekend in Boston? You need to show us all the fun you had. :)