Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Miracle for a little stone...


The tiny white dot in the center ... is the stone for which this miracle is all about ...

Wednesday morning at 3:30 am I woke up with severe abdominal pain. After wondering what to do - in a new city, with two sleeping babies, I asked Jonathan for a blessing. In the blessing I was promised to know if we should go to the hospital or not. Within a few more minutes, with my legs shaking uncontrolably because of the severity of the pain we quickly called my dad to see what I should do (who is a doctor). Withing minutes, we had loaded the little ones into the car and headed to the hospital which just happens to be about 3 miles away.

The nurses quickly got me into a room and gave me Toradol (pain medication), Zofran (nausea med) and Rocefen (antibiotic). I then had a CT scan (and later an x-ray ... see below) which found that I had a Kidney stone ... in size of 8 mm. A "normal" stone is 3-4 mm - and so my body physically would not be able to remove the stone on it's own... so the urologist was called ... and we were sent home for about 2 hours before going to his office to discuss the surgery options.



We called my Mom to the rescue - and as usual - she dropped everything to come and stay with the boys so we could go to the urologist (aren't those for old people ??) and then to help take care of me for the rest of the day. I was incredibly sick for the rest of the day - we aren't exactly sure why - but needless to say I was. I was supposed to drink Magnesium Citrate (lemon liquid laxative ... yes I did say LAXATIVE) at 4:00 pm ... but couldn't keep anything down. After FINALLY holding down a Zofran - the nausea etc. started to go away... and unfortunately BUT fortunately I finally was able to drink the most AWFUL drink I've ever tasted!

Then the miracle ... at about 9:00 pm - still to weak and sick to get out of the bed, Bro. Crosby (our new friend from the ward) ... came by to give me a blessing with Joanthan. The blessing was really special and amazing. I was promised that the my body would be responsive to the treatment that I would have the following day along with many other blessings. Within the hour ... I was feeling 80% better - able to walk, sit-up, talk, drink etc. I now more than ever have a testimony of the power of the priesthood. Although things may not always happen so quickly as this ... I know that the power of the priesthood is VERY real and that according to our faith and righteousness the Lord does bless us.

At 8:00 am - Thursday morning, Jonathan and I headed to the hospital so that I could have a procedure called Lithotripsy performed. I had to be put under general anasthesia and long-story short ... they broke up my kidney stone so that it could all come out! The doctor said that everything seemed to go well ... we now just have to wait and see if the "sand-like" pieces come out and I will go back a week from now for another scan to see if all is well! The picture below is of an "X" on my right side ... just so they made sure they were working on the right side.



Although the pain was as bad or worse than having a baby ... I know the Lord truely blessed us in every way. We had countless tender mercies from the Lord. The boys were AMAZING at the hospital. The hospital was AWESOME ... everyone was so incredibly nice, gentle and ready to serve us. The on-call urologist was AWESOME. He quickly got me into his office and was just like a dad. The procedure Thursday went well - and all of the hospital staff again - was better than anyone could've ever asked for! Jonathan (crying as I write this) was the perfect husband ... as he is always at my side "through sickness (and health)" ... even in those yucky moments when I'm stuck over the potty, getting an IV, and even making me laugh when the nurse asked if I "ate a lot of salad because I was trying to lose weight after having a baby..." WHAT? ... NO! I just like salad! My mom ... what can I say more than she always comes as soon as I call - she is selfless in every way and truely loves our little family. Micah... what a trooper - he's even learned to like formula - but he's happy to be back nursing again - and Benjamin can't wait for mom to be better (although we did sneak in a little plastic golf before bath time Thursday night!) Some may say ... why now, in a new city, only knowing a hand full of people, with a three week old baby - but what a blessing this has been to our little family. The Lord has blessed us and brought us closer together as a family ... and I am so grateful for the miracle of this little stone!

11 comments:

Lauren Wendy said...

I am so glad you got it taken care of! Our family is notorious for those and they are awful!! I was driving in the car when mine hit me and I will NEVER forget that!! xo

NIXON STUFF said...

Oh Rachel! Sorry to hear about that. I am glad that you are on the up hill now. Your Faith was proved worthy! Miss you!

ivyjeanne said...

how painful, rach! i'm so sorry. and so glad to hear you are recovering well. shane just had to have his gall bladder removed this week thanks to several gall stones so we know something of the agony -- or at least, he does.

Caren said...

I had a kidney stone a few years ago and I thought that I was going to DIE! I'm glad that you are doing better. We are very blessed to have husbands that can give us blessings when we need them.

Ben Davis said...

I was crying as I read this! I wish you were here! I'm so sorry you were in so much pain! But I'm glad you're feeling somewhat better! Miss you so much! I hope you continue to feel better!

Shari Davis

Brian and April said...

Rachel, I'm so glad you found our blog. It was so nice talking with you at church. That is so sad about your kidney stone. I'm glad you are feeling better. Your boys are adorable. If you ever need anything let me know. I can give you the Cumming tour or we can go to the park with our little guys.

Staci said...

You are amazing.. dealing with all of that and still able to find the good things about it! I wish I had that talent!
I hope you like your new home and city. Moving can be scary but so exciting too! Enjoy it!

Laura said...

Wow - that's awful. But, you are so awesome to find the good in every situation! I'm so glad that everything went well and that there were so many great people around to help. I hope you're feeling much better and hopefully (fingers crossed) you never have to go through that again! We love you Rachel!

By the way -- you look amazing! You're so tiny and have that 'mommy-glow' about you!

Candace said...

Wow! I'm glad you are okay and can have such a positive outlook on everything! I'm glad your mom was able to come help you too!

Adam said...

Sorry to hear about such an awful experience, but leave it to Rachel Owens to turn a bad few days into a miracle. Thanks for being a good example of having a positive attitude. We miss you guys.

Sylwia said...

i'm so sorry about the kidney stone. i've had them 3 times, once when i was pregnant and nothing could be done about it other than insert a tube to drain my kidney to keep it from exploding.

i'm glad all is well with you!